1/25/2011

Chicken Broth or Stock



No soup deserves to be called excellent unless it's made with chicken stock or other stock. Therefore, I don’t even start a soup unless I have stock handy. I make stock whenever I happen to have the ingredients, such as a leftover chicken or turkey carcass with some meat on it. Then I freeze it in plastic containers so that I always have a supply ready when I want to make soup. Chicken cubes don’t begin to make the grade with their additives and preservatives and salt. Here is my recipe for chicken stock, also good on its own or with ice cubes in hot weather.
Ingredients
2-1/2 pounds bony chicken pieces (can use turkey, rabbit, and leftover cooked chicken)
2 celery ribs with leaves, cut into chunks
2 medium carrots, cut into chunks (more if you like)
2-3 medium cooking onions, quartered
3-4 garlic cloves (optional)
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
8 to 10 whole peppercorns
8 to 10 allspice 
A little curry powder (optional)
2 quarts cold water

    * Place all ingredients in a large soup kettle or Dutch oven. Slowly bring to a boil; reduce heat. Skim foam. Cover and simmer for 2-6 hours.
    * Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove meat from bones. Discard bones; save meat for another use. Strain broth, discarding vegetables and seasonings. Refrigerate overnight. Skim fat from surface. Yield: about 6 cups.
NOTE: This recipe can be doubled, tripled, etc. I always make a big batch and freeze what I don’t use for the next soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment